Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Entry for August 23, 2005-Letter to Judge Newman

So, my ex is trying to get a restraining order, infering that I tried to kidnap our son.  I can't make it up to court- it's expensive to travel from NC to New England- so I was told I had to write a letter to the judge to ask for a continuance.  After A LOT of re-writing and editing, this is what I sent (I have deleted out some information to protect my self, and my son):


Carlos Quevedo
XXXXXXX
Charlotte, NC XXX
XXXXXX


Honorable Judge Newman
XXFamily Court
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX


Re: CA# XXXXXX


August 22, 2005


 Dear Judge Newman,


 I am the defendant in the above-mentioned case scheduled before you on August 24, 2005.  I am writing you this letter because I was told that this was the proper procedure for requesting to continue this matter.  As you can see from my address above right, I am not a resident of XX and am unable to afford to make the trip at this time.  I have been trying to allocate the funds to make this trip since I was served with these papers two weeks ago, but have been unsuccesful as of yet.


Your honor, I seek a continuance so that I may defend myself in person against the allegations being brought forth by my son’s mother, KXX.  This restraining order is merely her latest attempt to deny me any interaction with my son.  Her affidavidt states that I never appeared for visits; this is wrong and can be proven by taking a look at the file in XXX department.  In fact, she has repeatedly denied or curtailed my visits with Christien. I always showed up, even when I knew she wouldn’t bring him.  Each time I came, I signed the court officers’ logbook, so this can be verified as well.


It is true, your Honor, that I have not seen Christien- since October, after school had started.  I moved to North Carolina to escape her false allegations, and to rebuild my life.  When I last saw Christien, I told him that hopefully, one day, he’d be able to come down to Charlotte to stay with me, and that I’d have a room waiting for him when that day finally came.  Your Honor, I believe a child needs both his mother and father in their lives, and I know how much Christien loves his mother, so I would never do anything such as what she is infering.


I tried to acquire telephone interaction with Christien through my attorney, Ed XXX, the last time this matter came before Chief Judge Jeremiah.  According to my attorney, Judge Jeremiah became upset when told I wasn’t there, and that is when he suspended my interaction with Christien.  I cannot recall when the action was taken, but I believe it was after the holidays, because when I last traveled to XX, for Christmas, I had my lawyer inquire about me having a visit with Christien for Christmas.  KXX, of course, refused.  I have not been back to XX since, so her allegation that I was “circling the school” on the 16th holds no merit.  I can verify I was in Charlotte on June 16, and it is exactly for reasons such as these that I moved from XX in the first place.


I did call his school on June 16th.  I had investigated beforehand if my calling would violate Judge Jeremiah’s order and was told it would not.  KXX mother works at the school, so I knew there was no hiding that I had called, but I wanted to know how my son was doing, schoolwise.  I called, identified myself as Christien’s father, said he was a student in Mrs. BXX’s class, and asked to speak with the principal.  Christien told me who his teacher was on our last visit, but this information is also available on the school’s website (It is also through that website that I have my only new picture of Christien).  I was told the principal was out on bereavement leave and I left it at that (I don’t remember if I left a message for a callback).  I never asked to speak with Christien, because that would have violated Judge Jeremiah’s order. 


Your honor, not having any interaction with my son distresses me to no end.  He has an older brother who asks for him all the time and probably misses him more than I do (my oldest son, Aaron, is mildly mentally handicapped, and always asks why can’t he see or talk to his little brother).  If you are a parent, imagine how you would feel if you weren’t allowed to know anything about your child: Not knowing if he’s healthy, how their grades are, what their new favorite toy is,...nothing.  Now, she is trying to make it so I can’t see my son for at least another three years.  Study after study shows the importance of a child having both parents involved in their life. Yet, KXX ignores these statistics for her own selfish motives.  Yes, I suffer, but in the end, it is the child who suffers most. 


I apologize for the length of this letter, Your Honor, but I wanted to be sure you had enough information to make your decision.  There are several other matters her affidavidt mentions that I’d like to address, but that would just lengthn this letter, and I would rather address those in person.  All I ask is for the opportunity to present my side.  I firmly believe that if you give me this opportunity, you will see her petition has no merit.  Whatever your decision is, Your Honor, I shall abide by it.  All I ask is that you please consider my request to continue ths matter so that I may defend myself, in person, before you deny a father his son.


 Sincerely,


 Carlos R. Quevedo


My scanner is busted, or I would have posted her affidavidt.  I am not looking to get anyone on my side, nor put anyone against her.  I will present ALL  of the facts, as best I can, and leave it up to you to make your own decisions.  I have first-hand intimate knowledge as to the effects of lies (I'll explain that another day), and I pride myself on trying to get both sides of the story before making any decisions or passing any judgements, so I will attempt to do that for you. 
Let me get back to work.  I will try to post a follow-up later.


No comments:

Post a Comment