Thursday, August 2, 2007

Entry for August 02, 2007 - 11 Smartest Things Ever Said About Fatherhood

I found this as I was reading some articles at work. I thought it was a great list so I wanted to share it. All credit goes to Tia Albright, who Compiled this for Men's Health:

"1. "It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping." -John Sinor

2. "They don't grade fathers, but if your daughter's a stripper, you f—ked up!" -Chris Rock

3. "Sherman made the terrible discovery that men make about their fathers sooner or later... that the man before him was not an aging father but a boy, a boy much like himself, a boy who grew up and had a child of his own and, as best he could... adopted a role called 'Being a Father' so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a Protector, who would keep a lid on all the chaotic and catastrophic possibilities of life." -Tom Wolfe, The Bonfire of the Vanities

4. "Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln

5. "My mother protected me from the world, and my father threatened me with it." -Quentin Crisp

6. "There must be many fathers around the country who have experienced the cruelest, most crushing rejection of all: Their children have ended up supporting the wrong team." -Nick Hornby

7. "My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, 'You're tearing up the grass.' 'We're not raising grass,' Dad would reply. 'We're raising boys.' " -Harmon Killebrew

8. "You don't put kids under surveillance: It might frighten you. Parents should sit tall in the saddle and look upon their troops with a noble and benevolent and extremely nearsighted gaze." -Garrison Keillor

9. "A man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." -Marlon Brando as Don Corleone in The Godfather

10. "When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant that I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in only 7 years." -Mark Twain

11. "Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express." -Joseph Addison"

Have you ever heard any good Fatherhood quotes? Post them in the comments.

Que Dios te bendiga Christien. I hope you still feel my love, mi hijo.

9 comments:

  1. I have one daughter. Michelle is 10. Every Friday, we have breakfast together at McDonald's and we've been doing this for several years. There's nothing like time alone with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that, thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool stuff. funny and inspirational. thankes for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great - I hope a lot of people get to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ♥♪Emotional Rescue♪♥August 8, 2007 at 3:46 PM

    Very profound comments...

    Funny how people always think that it is the DAD that takes the kids fishing. But I guess it usually is. Both my kids love to fish and I am the one that was with them when they caught their first fish.

    Different I guess, when you are a boy. I do hope my son remembers that it was ME that taught him to fish.

    Father quotes? I will pose my own...

    A Father is not a "memory", but a present emotion.
    A Father is not absent, but a force in the lives of their children.

    A Father is the most positive "male" influence his daughter will have. Hence #1 will forever stay in her mind.

    A Father teaches his son how to be a man.
    A Father teaches his daughter how she should be treated by a man.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ver nice. I was a daddy's girl and my daughter is a daddy's girl. My son is a daddy's boy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GG - Love the WordsAugust 23, 2007 at 3:43 AM

    This is pretty good. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete